More and more small businesses are using digital services to appeal to new and existing customers; to optimise their operations and transform their business to compete in a global, online market.
Our research shows there are still barriers stopping small firms from embracing digital technology and doing more online, for example:
- A lack of infrastructure (broadband or mobile coverage)
- Scepticism about the benefits of investing in digital technology
- A lack of confidence and skills to try new technology
Action FSB have taken
- We’re backing the Business is Great resource campaign, supported by the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.
- We’ve recommended a new Code of Practice to improve the quality of service for small business customers.
- We’re launching a series of regional events to bring small businesses together to help address different issues.
There’s significant economic growth potential if small businesses were to do more online. Whether contacting customers, suppliers, or even staff, the internet allows small firms greater flexibility and competition in a global market. We want to help our members to have a greater awareness and make better use of digital technologies by integrating them into their businesses.
“We invested heavily in technology and search engine optimisation to ensure we were the first business to come up in a niche market. Allowing our staff to work from home has also helped with staff retention. We now also export to over 70 countries” FSB Member.