Our research shows small, rural businesses are at a disadvantage compared to those in urban areas when it comes to:
- Telecoms: 63 per cent suffer with the speed of their broadband connection.
Only 23 per cent of rural businesses are satisfied with their mobile coverage levels.
- Transport: In England those in the countryside travel 45 per cent further than those in towns and cities.
- Infrastructure: One in six say the state of the road network adversely affect their business.
Action FSB have taken
- We’re lobbying the Government to deliver a minimum, guaranteed 10Mbps broadband speed for all business consumers, including those in rural areas.
- We want the Government to invest, maintain and upgrade UK roads.
- We’re calling for the Government to ‘rural-proof’ all policy, legislation and planning guidance, so rural businesses aren’t disadvantaged.
- We want the Government to prioritise jobs and growth in rural areas.
We want the UK rural economy to be revitalised. Businesses based in the countryside need to be able to move quickly and easily to their suppliers and customers, without unnecessary costs of time or money. Small businesses are unfairly penalised by having inadequate broadband connections, which can prevent growth and investment. A strategic Government-led approach to boost jobs and growth in rural areas would see small businesses thrive.